Friday, November 6, 2009

Nerdy excitement over font.

I just created this test font in about 10 minutes at http://www.fontcapture.com/

With a little work, I think I could create a font I would actually want to use for my comics.

Programs that allow you to create your own font are priced anywhere from $80 - $2000. I am too cheap for that.

I just found a terrific website that allows you to create your own handwritten font for free. This is a great way to put your personal lettering into your comics.
http://www.fontcapture.com/

The site is 100% free and easy to use.

1) Download a template.
2) Fill out the template with your own characters.
...a. I find it works best to fill in the template by hand, then scan it and edit it with Photoshop. But you could easily import the template into Illustrator or Flash as well.
...b. For all-caps comics, create regular characters for the lowercase set of the font and bold or italicized characters for the uppercase set.
3) Upload your completed template. Give your font-baby a name.
4) Download and install your font.

I am not affiliated with this site in any way. I just felt it was pretty cool and wanted to share.

Currently, I am lettering Dual using Wild and Crazy Zap Pack font from Comicraft.

No comments: